For the last few months I’ve been slowly knitting knee socks with this yarn*, and although I love the yarn I was starting to realise that I was unlikely to ever wear the socks, if I even finished them. There was one thing the yarn wanted to be and a few days ago I gave in and listened to it. I don’t know any babies this tiny, but I’m sure one will show up eventually, and it was the perfect comfort cold knitting.
Unlike my first version, I did start this off using the pattern, so it has nice details like the cuff and back shaping. I did the assymetrical opening slightly differently too. After binding off for the neck shaping I knit to the 2nd marker on that ws row, turned and worked only on those stitches, continuing to increase at the marker for 18 ridges. Then I knit back to the abandoned marker, picked up 18 sts along the edge, then knit across my abandoned sts. Then I knit the buttonband according to the pattern. I do love the original, but I’m really pleased with the way making it assymetrical makes a bigger feature of the mitreing. It works so well in this subtly shaded self-striping.
The buttons are a slightly random choice, not at all what I had in mind, but when I was going through my collection these ones looked the best with it. And now this tiny jacket is hanging amidst my buttons.
*This, to my mind, was the perfect thing to do with the yarn, although I have seen some great socks in it too. Although this is it knit quite loosely, on 3mm compared to the 2mm needles I was using for the socks, it blomed wonderfully when washed. It’s Fyberspates self striping bfl sock yarn. I don’t think she has any available individually at the moment, but there is this club.For locals, we have a very small amount (none in this colourway) left in stock at K1. As for me, I still have half of this skein left and 2 more in the colourway pictured on the fyberspates site that my boss genoursly gave me for xmas. Hmm… I’m thinking of designing a pixieish gartery baby hoodie.
I know these photos aren’t particularly fantastic, but the fact that I was able to even take a photo indoors in todays gloom is thanks to my new lenses that arrived today. I’m very excited to play with them some more.
The Wardie cardigan is worked in pieces from the bottom up. When the front and back are complete they're joined at the shoulders and then the sleeves are worked from stitches picked up around the armhole.
If you're interested in knitting Wardie but aren't sure about the finishing here's how the shoulders and sleeve go together.