My flat is actually, mostly, spring cleaned, and I’ve started studying for finals.
I found some nice yarns while cleaning, and had a few random balls of yarn that I bought specifically just to try. So on Monday I settled down to study, while knitting swatches. This was the first, Rowan Bamboo Soft. Which feels so very, very different to the only other bamboo I’ve tried – SWTC Bamboo. That’s sort of crunchy, while this feels like a very luxurious sweatshirt. I adore it, but I was happy just swatching and focusing on something other than germinating design ideas.
Then I hit this stumbling block, and found myself yesterday in the wool shop anxiously waiting to see if they could find any of the yarn I’d fallen in love with hidden in the store cupboard. I don’t think I’m swatching anymore and I’m far too poor to justify this purchase at all. At least no other Noro seems at all tempting to me. This is Cash Iroha, and it in this colour is their only yarn I’ve seen and liked.
I did check that I’d be able to exchange any unused, precious skeins. Which meant that I actually bought more than I think I’ll need. I’m very good at ekeing out as much as possible from as little yarn as possible and have finished more than one project with inches to spare. However, I’m trying to think more like a designer and less like a cheap knitter (with the swatching random yarns project, for example).
There is an element of this thinking involved in this project. I am, for once, writing the pattern as I go. That should please you, because it should mean that getting said pattern up here won’t take quite as ridiculously long as all those that I need to recreate from scattered sketches and notes. The design is partly based around the idea of creating something involving several techniques in a way that makes it a good way to learn these techniques. It’s mostly quite simple, and each technique is used at least at first in isolation.
Mostly though, I just want to wear this. It’s going to be so cute. Still studying too, so my original project hasn’t gone completely astray. That’s one of the book weights I made. Just two scraps of fabric stitched together and filled with rice. It’s quite effective, although the binding of this book seems to lay open quite happily. Not all books are so willing.
Go pester Juno, who despite what she says has been a very helpful test knitter, to take some photos of Matilda Jane with her inside. This means that the larger sizes of the pattern will be coming soon (‘soon’ being a rather loose concept to me, as I’m sure you’ve already noticed).
I’m going to keep slowly turning this growing spiral of bumpy little knit stitches.
The Wardie cardigan is worked in pieces from the bottom up. When the front and back are complete they're joined at the shoulders and then the sleeves are worked from stitches picked up around the armhole.
If you're interested in knitting Wardie but aren't sure about the finishing here's how the shoulders and sleeve go together.