Perhaps I should have considered the fact that the last time I remember sewing with a knit fabric was in high school before deciding to use it for a gift. There was much cursing and unpicking of wiggly seams, but the shirt turned out ok in the end.
birthday present for my best friend who loves clothes but doesn’t have
much in the way of maternity / nursing gear (I hear babies are
expensive!). The pattern is from Megan Nielsen, although I made things
harder than they needed to be and used this pattern to make this. Don’t
do that unless you like drafting pattern pieces and winging the
construction, just get the actual pattern. Made things even more
complicated by doubling the thin fabric at the front bodice and midriff
band so it would be a little more structured and the modesty panel’s
edges wouldn’t show through. I wanted this to be a surprise so I didn’t
have any measurements, although I did add some extra room at the bust.
It wasn’t until I was almost done that I realised the thread I chose for colour alone was quilting thread. At least there was an explanation for the oddly thick seams, but oops!
The binding around the neckline is a little more stretched out than it needs to be, you can tell that the print on the edges looks a little strained. This caused some pulling on the midriff band but it seems functional. And my friend texted me a picture to show that it fits and seems happy so I’m calling it a success, even if it’s a little imperfect.
Heading home now to work on another sewing project that I’m very excited about, finally finishing a dress my grandmother started 50-60 years ago.