as is probably obvious it’s a top down raglan. I knit the neck border first and then picked up stitches. the neckline is lower than the front – I put more of the border stitches in the front sections than the back and shaped it with short rows. The fact that there are more sts at the front than the back is taken care of in the decreases below the bust. I reasoned that seeing as from the position of the neckline on this downwards I’m bigger at the front then it made sense for the cardigan to be. Seemed logical and so far it seems to have been a reasonable assumption.
I’m not too happy with the front decreases though – there are straight panels down each front side. I think the decreases should begin more like I’ve drawn the line on the photo and then run vertical:
funnily enough I’m not too fond of ripping but I think I can change thi s with a crochet hook. It should work.
I love the lacing on my gloves as much as you lot seem to (thanks for all the head swelling praise) so I thought I’d continue the concept on the back of this.
How the back panel looks without the lacing:
Shaping is worked into the panel (although you can’t really tell in the photo). I wanted it to look like it was being pulled into that shape (nipped in tightly at the waist) but actually doing that in knitwear would add a lot of unnecesary bulk. I think this gives the illusion of that, without the bulk and I actually really like the way it’s sort of exagerated.
You can see how much shaping this design has, the waist measurement is only 1″ more than my actual waist. I wanted to see how that would work out, considering that a lot of knitwear only has a difference of a couple of inches between bust and waist. My measurements are 35, 27 – so that’s a difference of 8 inches. The waist of the cardigan is 28″ and at a guess (i just knit the yoke until it fitted) the bust has about the same ease.
One last pic, the border is desperately in need of blocking but here is how it looks:
Ooh and scoobies make the most useful holders for sleeve stitches.
The yarn is Debbie Bliss cotton angora. I this ages ago on a whim (it was half price) without really thinking about it. It’s beautifully soft and I sort of like the well worn look it has. But this yarn is pretty ill-conceived. Angora has very short fibres and there’s nothing to make it and the cotton hold together. Consequently it sheds maddly, and it’s pilling while I knit! The only reason I’m using it is because I have it and well the colour is brighter than in the photos. I’ve heard angora mentioned as a good fibre for people with wool allergy issues, however after a few hours working with this I’ve been getting itchy and sneezy. I’m not allergic to wool but have very sensitive skin and tend to be sensitive to fine particle sorts of things. I’m hoping wearing this won’t be a problem, but it’s defintely not a yarn I’d recommend. If I like how this turns out enough I might consider making a variation in Rowan wool cotton or maybe cashcotton. Right now I just want to finish this.
.... And it's a big one! Usually, the sale runs across a set number of days and things get pretty fast paced around here with shipping and customer service emails. With the need to continue to prioritise staff safety and a smaller team than usual, we decided to make this a whole birthday month.