I love it so much, everything that wasn’t quite perfect about the first version has been carefully re-worked and I’m delighted with the results. It looks better and it was simpler and more fun to knit. Plus I was being good and pattern writing as I went, so no awkward reverse engineering.
The yarn is an undyed alpaca silk blend from UK Alpaca, I used 4 100g balls. Need to email the company about the yardage though, since it’s not on the bands or the website* It is beautiful though and I was careful to incorporate the fact that it stretches considerably in length into the pattern. Slightly strange to knit something that looks too squat but I forced myself to trust the swatch + maths and it sighed with relief when I measured it after dunking in the sink. I think it’s precisely this lack of memory that will create the perfect drape for this pattern, the bamboo soft I used for the first version did the same (much to my annoyance since I hadn’t taken it into account!). It’s just ‘wooly’ enough though to give the smocking a wonderful depth and definition.
* I got a response – a 100g ball is approximately 265 metres and the 50g balls 132 metres.
Introducing the first in an ongoing series of guest posts. I'm honoured that we're beginning with this vital letter from Emi Ito.
Emi has been outspoken about the cultural appropriation of the kimono in fashion and has helped many makers and designers find a less hurtful approach to naming their patterns and products.