1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?I am a hideous yarn snob as far as natural fibres are concerned. Acrylic makes me itchy and sweaty so I definitely wouldn’t wear it. But sometimes silly yarns are fun to play with and I suppose there are some nice synthetics out there.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Ummm… I have a bag of roving and a wooden dowel rod sitting in my room – so I guess I have the intention to spin. I can crochet, but I can never remember what the stitches are called, and most crochet just doesn’t look good to me. I’m in the process of crocheting the palms of chain maile gauntlets for my friend Jamie’s birthday. I’ve done one and I’m finding it hard to get up the motivation to start the second. (his birthday was in July incidentally… the beginning of July.) I like little complex crochet projects though, otherwise it’s just boring.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Artificial perfumes make me sneeze. That’s it as far as I know.
4. How long have you been knitting?
I could knit as a kid but I only really got into it about 4 years ago, when I was about 16 and saw the famous Kittyvile hat and realised I could make that.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Nope… but I could make one if you’re stuck
6. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Hmm… I’m not really a big fan of scented candles or things but I like lavander for bath things. Natural lavander anyway – see allergies above.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Sort of, I like dark chocolate, caramelised ginger -things like that, the most.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Umm… Lots of things, I make jewellery, dolls, stencil, cook, sew, needlefelt, I’m always up for trying new crafts as long as they aren’t too regimented. I was always one of those kids that ignored the instruction leaflet that came with craft kits and went ‘these supplies are cool what can I make with them.’
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
What kind of music? hmm… that might be a whole other post. But yes I can play MP3s. I like hearing new things though, even if I don’t like them.
10. What’s your favorite color? Or–do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I’m more fussy about shades than particular colours. I like clear colours – does that make any sense at all…. hmm. The only colour I would never ever wear would probably be yellow. I don’t like lots of colours together either.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I don’t live with any of my family… I’m single, I have no pets. I do have flatmates though.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Umm… how should I know, I’m panicking at the moment because I’ve just realised that in 2 years I’ll be leaving university and I’ll have to think of something else to do.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Oooh… probably Debbie Bliss Cashmerino – it’s soooo soft.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
See the yarn snob thing. I just won’t knit with cheap acrylic. It doens’t deserve my time.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I don’t really have any – Most of my knitting is quite end result orientated. Although I like experimenting with interesting techniques too.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Hats maybe. I’ve made lots of hats – mostly for other people. They can be soo fast or complex, and there are lots of things you can do with them. Hats and what I suppose come under the term ‘sweater’ although most of mine recently have been short sleeved pretty tops.
17. What are you knitting right now?
New fuzzyfeet because last winter’s ones had holes in the soles and my feet are cold. A self-designed raglan jumper in Rowan Polar with a cabled tree on the front. And the socks from the new knitty.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
Ewww… possibly the weirdest fashion craze in recent times. Only the exceptionally beautiful can even hope to look ok in one. Pretty capelets that tie at the front I have more patience for. (but only occasionally)
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I like both, but probably straight. I like double pointed needles, they really don’t bother me. For something like socks or a hat I wouldn’t bother using circulars at all. But I like knitting tops in the round. Seams are satisfying but time consuming.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I like bamboo. But I’m not really that bothered, I only have two pairs of bamboo needles though. Bamboo sock needles would be nice, but I’ve never seen any.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
I like making socks, but at this precise moment have never actually finished a pair, for various reasons. But i plan on finishing the falling leaves socks. And then I might make some knee highs. Oh and I think most self patterning yarn is horrible.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My mum taught me as a kid, but I didn’t really see the point. I taught myself again when I was about 13 and wanted to make a doll clothes to scale – I used dressmaking pins and sewing thread. And then I made the kittyville hat when I was 16 and realised that if I didn’t use tiny needles or thread or 2.5mm needles and double knitting wool this was actually pretty easy.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I don’t know. Maybe a couple of years.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Gir (from invader zim), Daria or Enid Coleslaw (ok so Ghost World isn’t animanted but the book is a comic so it counts, right?)
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas I s’pose. I like the family dinner and the presents. Still exciting.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
No not really.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None at all. They’re expensive. Sometimes I but the Rowan magazine if I like the patterns but I think the last one I bought was last winters. I’ve been trying to avoid browsing in yarn stores cos it gets exspensive.
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I’d like Loop-d-loop. I’ve seen lots of finished objects that have been pretty inspiring.
29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven’t bought for one reason or another??
Nothing springs to mind. So i guess that’s a no.
ETA: 30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
My foot measurements… well if you insist 9″ at the longest and 8 around the widest part. I like knee high lacy socks most.
Congratulations to our Glenmore KAL prize winners! If you're still working on your Glenmore this blog series will stay up, so you can refer back to the tutorial for any section as you knit at your own pace. For inspiration and motivation check out all the lovely Glenmore projects here.