1. What is/are your craft(s), & how long have you been doing it/them?I knit + design knitting patterns, sew, crochet, draw and bake. I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t doing some kind of craft, but knitting has pretty much taken over in the last 3 years or so.
2. Are you a vegan, vegetarian, veg-curious, veg-friendly or other?
tricky question. I grew up eating fish but no other meat and still eat it occasionally. I don’t eat cows milk except for yoghurt, and I eat other dairy products and eggs. Lately I’ve been trying to eat more fully vegan meals, mainly to stop myself relying on the easiness of protein from animal products.
3. Is this your first swap, or have you done previous swaps before? What makes a swap enjoyable for you?
I’ve done the giant secret pal swap a couple of times, along with a few others. I like lots of emails / communication – it’s awesome when swap partners become friends.
4. What is/are your favorite color(s)? Do you particularly dislike any color(s)?
I don’t think there are any colours I particularly hate, but I don’t like yarns with lots of colour variegation. Mostly they just look messy to me.
5. Do you have any allergies (such as pets, foods, fibers or cigarette smoke)?
6. Do you have any companion animals? If so, name(s) and type(s)?*
7. Do you collect anything?
I’m always on the look out for cute vintage buttons and other sewing supplies.
8. Do you have a favorite vegan food, snack or dish? If no fav that’s vegan (for those who aren’t vegan), what’s your favorite food? (Hopefully your pal can find a vegan version!)
I think I just like food! In terms of treats, I love dark chocolate and ginger.
9. What are some of your favorite/least favorite tastes/flavors? (e.g. sweet, salty, chocolate, crunchy, smooth, tart, sour, spicy, thai, whatever – Help your pal get a feel for what kind of recipes you might like and/or never ever make.)
I’m pretty adventurous and I’d love new recipes to try.
10. What tools/supplies/accessories for your craft(s) are you wishing you had but don’t? Also, what do you have TOO many of? (basically a wish and anti-wish list)
I’d love to try some more interesting crochet hooks than the basic aluminium ones, but I definitely don’t need any more knitting needles! It’s my firm belief that you can never have too many stitch markers and I would never turn down ribbons and buttons and other trimmings.
11. Are you on Ravelry? What’s your handle?
Yup. Username’s Ysolda, rather obviously ?
12. Is there anything else you would like your pal to know about you?
I can’t think of anything, but feel free to ask.
13. What scents do you like/dislike?
Scented things almost always make me sneeze, I’d rather not have them.
14. Do you prefer fall or Halloween or some other Autumn theme?
I love Halloween, although I’m less fond of the uber-tacky orange and black stuff.
15. Just for fun – tell your favorite Halloween or Autumn related memory.
One year me and a couple of friends made what we thought was a small fortune guysing (trick or treating) as the three witches from Macbeth. There were several retired English teachers in our neighbourhood!
Rather more recently, drunkenly baking Halloween cupcakes at a party and spraying black food colouring all over everything (by accident) while my friend tried to sew the many feet on to his caterpillar from Alice costume. That seems to capture the surrealness that should be Halloween.